CAPPENBERG

The current castle Cappenberg dates from the 16th century but it's history goes much further in time. It served once as the prison of castle Kantenrooi. The castle was called in the early days, De Wilde Beys after its owners Goden Wilbeys (1379) and Jan Willebeys (1453). Different noble families were owners of the estate throughout the centuries. The last one was Ambert Claessens who was major from Hove between 1947 and 1959. He sold the castle and in 1972 a school for special education opened its doors in the building. The last restoration dates 1985.
BACK / BACK TO VARIOUS CASTLES / NEXT