In 1414 the castle was owned by Claus van de Werve de Oude. How the castle looked like back then is not known. We have to wait until 1618 when a map of the domain was drawn. The castle can also been seen on an engraving of Frans Ertinger that was published in 1696. Paul Melchior de Villegas owns the castle at the end of the 17th century. He restores the castle. The castle had back then six Towers. The castle would undergo many changes throughout the years. It would loose its defending purpose and the towers were torn down.
P.J.B. de Bruyn buys the castle in 1802. He fills up the moat and keeps only the east wing witch is remodelled in empire style.
During the years 1913 and 1914 architect P. Langerock gets the assignment to restore the castle. He remodels the castle in Flemish renaissance style. The castle chapel is one of the few in Belgium that still is used regular.
The castle is private property but can be viewed from the public road.