Clicking on the thumbnails will give you a bigger picture in a new window


BELLE MAISON

This castle located in the village of Marchin dates back to the 18th century. Knight Guillaume van Buel built it between 1726 and 1734. He gathered all famous artists and sculpters from the area to make this chateau into a beautiful ensemble. The woodwork and stucco are in perfect harmony although different artists like Moretti and Tomaso Vasalli design them. The latter designed the baroque chapel in 1734.
Count Pontain d'Harscamp buys the domain in 1772 for his young spouse Countess Isabelle Brunelle. He wanted to remodel some rooms and he hired architects Wincqz and Renoz. Countess Isabelle was not only beautiful but also generous. She overloaded her many nieces and nephews but also the city Namen with presents. Viscount Henri Claude de Namur van Elze inherits the chateau and he leaves it to his granddaughter Countess de Robiano. Her descendants still own the castle and are restoring it back into its old splendor.
The farm next to the castle dates back to the 15th century. The castle is private property but can be viewed from the public road.

BACK TO THE PROVINCE LIEGE