Bourlingster castle has a history that goes back to the 11th century. It is the first time mentioned in 1098 when it belongs to Symeon of Trier. Back then it was no more then a keep, a chapel and a curtain wall. It was expanded in the 14th century. In the 15th century it was again enlarged. During the 16th century (1542) wars it was destroyed but soon it was repaired and a renaissance wing was added in 1548. Parts of the castle were again destroyed in the 1680's by the French. The baroque facade was built in the 18th century. The State bought the castle in 1986 and it was fully restored. The castle houses now a restaurant and reception rooms.