The oldest parts of the castle from the 12th century were built by Gerard, Count of Sponheim. The large palace and the rounded towers are probably from around 1400 when the Lords of Brandenbourg lived there In 1634, Claude of Lannoy built the reception halls, including the large Knights' Hall in the Spanish style of Flanders. In 1660, stables, storerooms and administrative buildings were added. Finally, in the 18th century, new stables were built. The castle was destroyed in the Second World War during the Battle of the Bulge. The castle is now completely destroyed and houses now a museum and offices.