The history of this castle dates back to the 12th century when there was a wooden tower and fort at this site. The first stone castle was built by Frederic and Gerard d'Erpeldange, the first lords of Erpeldange. Their stronghold guarded the valley where the rivers Sūre and Alzette meet. Throughout the years the castle passed on to the Counts of Vianden, the Brandenburg-Outscheid and von Moestroff-Kerpen families. The Gondersdorf family inherited the castle though marriage and they transformed it into a luxurious home in 1630. In 1677, it was inherited by Charles Franēois baron de Failly de Sancy and Marie Marguerite de Giraldin and by that time he had no longer any military value. The castle was abandoned by the Prel family in the 19th century. During the Second World War the castle was damaged. It changed hands a couple of times until the State bought it in 1983 and since 1987 it is used as the town hall.