This castle was laready mentioned in the 10th century. The Lords of Pettingen were important members of the nobility at the end of the Middle Ages. At the beginning of the 14th century, Arnold of Pettingen married Marguerite of Rousy, the great grand-daughter of Ermisinde. He had a son, Arnold the Young, whose daughter Irmengard, by marrying Jean de Créhange, associated the Lords of Pettingen with his renowned family. Their grandson, also called Jean, fought for René, the Duke of Lorraine in the war against Charles the Bold, Duke of Burgundy. In revenge, Charles completely destroyed the Castle of Pettingen whose treasures were confiscated by the Governor of Luxembourg in 1494.
However in 1503 the castle was restored in it's original form and half of the treasures were returned as a result of a decree made by the Great Council of Mechelen. In 1571 the four round corner towers were added. The troops of Louis XIV besieged the castle in 1684 and left it in ruins. The ruins were inherited by the Comtes de Lapérouse whol sold it to the Duke of Arenberg in 1837. The Prince Of Arenberg stripped the remains from all that had any value. The State of Luxemboug bought the ruins in 1947 and consolidated the castle for the future.